- Vancouver office location
- Get exposure to varied project deliverables
- Global Consulting Firm
- Team Environment
Norman Disney & Young (a Tetra Tech Company) is a leading ﬁrm of consulting engineers with a global presence. Norman Disney & Young (NDY) works collaboratively with clients and design professionals on iconic projects in diverse and challenging ﬁelds. A career at NDY offers many opportunities. Our people are the key to our success and that’s why we present you with challenging career opportunities on a range of exciting projects. We recognise, value and support talent, so you’ll be inspired to create ideas, share solutions and deliver meaningful outcomes that will make a real difference to our clients and our communities.
NDY is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture representative of the communities we serve. NDY is a recognised employer of choice for gender equality and advocates for LGBTQIA+ inclusion and reconciliation. We therefore strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates, and people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
NDY embraces flexible working and welcome a discussion about your individual needs.
We are seeking for a qualified Mechanical Engineer with EGBC P.Eng (Mechanical) license in Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems.
Our Vancouver office operates as part of the NDY global team that provides engineering consulting services, support and analysis within the building and construction industry. NDY has offices around the world including United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. We collaborate with our clients to drive successful project outcomes, reduce risks, ensure adherence to policy & codes.
Now as part of Tetra Tech, we are able to offer a truly global services on the most exciting projects in any part of the world.
This position provides the opportunity to work with a truly innovative and passionate team. NDY has built a distinguished reputation as a services consulting firm and are looking for talented, resourceful individuals to join our team.
The role requires design experience and capabilities to work alongside the existing Vancouver team. Building sustainable relationships with clients through successful project delivery will be critical for representing the NDY brand.
- Senior Mechanical Engineer (PEng with EGBC license in Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems) with responsibility of Engineer of Record on a number of projects in the office
- Review, certification and stamping of mechanical services drawings
- Provision of Schedules B and C-B Letters of Assurance
- Strong working relationships with developers, contractors and regulators of commercial and industrial developments
- Bringing multidisciplined teams together to solve problems
- Internally overseeing teams of project managers/designers/engineers/energy modellers/field review technicians for the projects you will be responsible for
- Ability to occasionally adapt working hours for international coordination
- Preparing drawings, reports and mechanical specifications
- Coordinating with our NDY team of engineers, as well as coordinating externally with external design team members/stakeholders
- Providing regular reviews on projects to evaluate clients’ expectations
- Conducting process improvement analysis as it relates to the operation and performance of systems
- Supporting and initiating business development activities for the Mechanical Engineering team in Vancouver
- Providing technical guidance, mentoring and quality assurance to Mechanical and Plumbing Engineers/Designers to ensure the technical competence of mechanical engineering/design on projects
- Potential for other leadership roles in the future
- Excellent career growth opportunities within NDY (also potential to work in other NDY offices overseas).
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- P.Eng EGBC licence in Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems (willingness and ability to sign and seal Mechanical Design drawings, schedules B, C-B, etc)
- University Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Considerable experience in BC; understanding of local Engineering Standards, particularly BC Building Code, Mechanical codes, etc.
- 15+ years of relevant building systems design experience (ideally 5+ years with Lower Mainland BC as a signing engineer, 10+ years’ experience in BC)
- Very strong technical ability (Mechanical Engineering HVAC and Mechanical Building Systems); strength in designing and doing field reviews
- Personable, collaborative and good communication skills
- Competency in BCBC, BCPC, VBBL, VPBL
- Competency in ASHRAE 62/62.1/62.2, ASHRAE 90.1, Energy Step Code, CSA B149, CSA B139, NFPA 96, and Worksafe BC guidelines
- Competency compiling Engineering drawings (hand/CAD/BIM)
- Mechanical load analyses & software interpretation
- Incorporating multidisciplinary information (e.g., electrical, architectural, structural, geotechnical, energy modelling, sustainability acoustics, client requirements)
- Client communication at site meetings, teleconferences, presentations, open houses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Approaches tasks in a positive and professional manner
- Calm and productive when under pressure from deadlines
- Able to clearly explain engineering design information to clients in layman’s terms
- Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Commissioning projects and doing occupancy pre-walkthrough and occupancy walkthroughs
- 5-digit / 6-digit NMS (specification) editing
- Ideally has the ability to bring existing client connections over to NDY (in the above market sectors)
- Personable and comfortable with clients
- Needs to have good planning and organisational skills
- Able to deliver accurate & consistent results in a complex and deadline driven environment
- Supervisory background and proven leadership skills.
Training & Development
NDY has a strong focus on the development of our staff and training will be a key element of this development whether on internal or external training courses. We will develop a career plan for each staff member that will focus on core elements of your role to provide you with a clear progression in your career path.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be involved in a wide range of projects from Healthcare facilities through to commercial office developments and retail developments, both as new build and refurbishments.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Canadian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Canada. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for NDY at www.ndy.com/careers
Apply by submitting your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Please put “Senior Mechanical Engineer – Vancouver” as the email subject title.