- Dublin, Ireland
- Get exposure to varied project deliverables
- Key role delivering high profile projects
- Global Consulting Firm
- Team Environment
Norman Disney & Young (a Tetra Tech Company) is a leading ﬁrm of consulting engineers with a global presence. Norman Disney & Young (NDY) works collaboratively with clients and design professionals on iconic projects in diverse and challenging ﬁelds. A career at NDY offers many opportunities. Our people are the key to our success and that’s why we present you with challenging career opportunities on a range of exciting projects. We recognise, value and support talent, so you’ll be inspired to create ideas, share solutions and deliver meaningful outcomes that will make a real difference to our clients and our communities.
NDY is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture representative of the communities we serve. NDY is a recognised employer of choice for gender equality and advocates for LGBTQIA+ inclusion and reconciliation. We therefore strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates, and people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
NDY embraces flexible working and welcome a discussion about your individual needs.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Sustainability Leader to get involved in the early stages of building our team in Ireland and help further strengthen our technical capabilities in Europe whilst working on landmark projects.
You will be part of our Global Sustainability Group, based in Dublin. The role will cover various sectors including, but not limited to Commercial, Residential, Hotels, Retail, Mixed Use developments, Life Sciences and Mission Critical.
This role will make a difference to our business and team in the following ways:
- Provide leadership and sustainability subject matter expertise across Ireland and Europe; and support the Global Sustainability Group and broader NDY business
- Collaborate with region office executives and market sector leaders to enhance our market reputation and support our growth ambitions
- Drive growth in our sustainability & ESG offerings across our Ireland operations, targeting European coverage, and work in partnership with adjacent NDY regions and Tetra Tech business units to achieve our collective goals
- Actively participate as a member of the sustainability leadership team, with other regional leads and technical specialists; to drive group strategy, manage people and wellbeing initiatives; and deliver financial performance in line with business KPIs.
This role is that of a senior leader who is required to apply both consulting expertise and technical knowledge and skills. This position provides the opportunity to exercise judgement and initiative within wider reporting and accountability frameworks. This is a strategic and complex role within the NDY business. It’s a results-based role, in which you will be given the autonomy to lead, the support to pursue your goals and the opportunity to build strong relationships.
This role has 2 primary components, and these are outlined below:
- Responsible for building on NDY’s sustainability presence in the local Dublin market and recruiting/managing a team of local reports. As a summary, will be responsible for: winning new work, leading projects and leadership and coaching of direct reports
- Building knowledge and capability as part of the Global Sustainability leadership group. You will work closely with peers across our business regions to implement the group strategy and plans for growth.
- Meeting and exceeding the Annual Operating Plan (OAP) target for the Irish market
- Using your existing and NDY client networks to generate and convert new sustainability & ESG opportunities
- Nurturing and challenging an established sustainability team to succeed
- Delivering leading outcomes on projects for our established clients
- Working with multiple stakeholders in a complex environment
- Coordination with internal and external consultants and disciplines
- Alignment of sustainability consulting quality and aspirations with other regions
- Economic and business challenges facing the industry
- Improving the financial, technical, and reputational success of the NDY Sustainability Services offering
- Leading multiple change initiatives.
To be successful in this role you will be expected to demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to lead and effect change
- Substantial initiative and high-level judgement and to work independently and in a team to meet objectives
- Political astuteness with team members and Clients
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- Ability to train and mentor sustainability staff
- Current knowledge of best practice in sustainable design, particularly with respect to the built environment
- Minimum 8 years’ experience delivering sustainability consulting services for a national or global engineering organisation
- A comprehensive, well-rounded understanding of macro sustainability issues and how they influence our client business
- A sound understanding of sustainability governance in organisations and how to leverage both strategic and downstream implementation commissions
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) with staff and clients at all levels including a proven ability to communicate with technical staff across multiple disciplines
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and influencing skills with a wide-reaching stakeholder group, and capable of providing high level analysis and reporting.
- Subject matter expertise in at least three of the following: Decarbonisation and Net Zero Carbon Design Strategies, Healthy Buildings, ESG Advisory and Disclosures, Climate Resilience and Adaptation, Advanced Simulation and Analysis and Infrastructure Sustainability
- A relevant tertiary qualification combined with equivalent training and experience
- Sound knowledge and understanding of a management role gained through previous experience, training and/or education
- Hold chartered status/membership or equivalent with an appropriate industry professional body
- Well-developed understanding of relevant Irish Standards
- Well-developed understanding of Project Stages and Delivery methods (e.g. full design, design and construct)
- LEED Accredited Professional (required)
- BREEAM Accredited Professional (beneficial)
- NABERS UK Accredited Assessor (beneficial)
- WELL Accredited Professional (desirable).
Training and Development
NDY has a strong focus on the development of our staff and training will be a key element of this development whether on internal or external training courses. We will develop a career plan for each staff member that will focus on core elements of your role to provide you with a clear progression in your career path.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be involved in a wide range of projects from Healthcare facilities through to commercial office developments and retail developments, both as new build and refurbishments.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date
- Find out more about working for NDY at ndy.com/careers
For a confidential discussion about this position, you may call Eve Hewitt on 020 7553 9494 or alternatively, apply by submitting your CV and covering letter to E.Hewitt@ndy.com.
Please put “Sustainability Lead – Dublin” as the email subject title.