Coles Distribution CentrePerth, Australia
Norman Disney & Young was engaged by Australand and Commercial and Industrial Property Pty Ltd to document and oversee the commissioning of the entire Coles distribution centre, which includes specialist refrigeration equipment and all building service elements.
The distribution centre also has two satellite receiver and distribution offices, a main administration office, gatehouse, reception and associated HV switchroom, emergency generators and fire pump rooms.
Located on the industrial estate adjacent to the Perth International Airport, the development area is approximately 90,000m² with 20,000m² of freezer/chilled produce storage maintained at sub-zero temperatures and 60,000m² of ambient temperature storage for distribution of produce throughout Western Australia.
NDY coordinated the commissioning of all electrical services for:
- Emergency power generators
- Mechanical ventilation
- Air conditioning
- Refrigerations systems
- Fire services for fire detection, hydrants and sprinklers
- Hydraulic designs for hot and cold water, storm water, reclaimed rain water, sewer and waste disposal
- Security access control for CCTV and MATV.
As the project progressed, we worked closely with the developer/builder to provide support, progress details and sub contractor reporting. Throughout this process, and in the face of substantial commercial and timeframe pressures, significant project problems relating to third party design and contracting were identified and resolved through engineering and project administration support from NDY. These included:
- Emergency power generation controls; replacement of documented BMS system with SCADA allowing appropriate load shedding and maintenance of critical business functions
- Management of significant commercial and program issues with the EPG contract
- Resolution of controls interface for dock leveler, truck restraints, rapid doors and door seal inflators that had not been adequately considered
- Resolution of interface issues between end user camera specification and procured security systems
- Facilitation of dangerous goods licensing in a difficult regulatory environment (due to jurisdictional issues between DOCEP and DOTARS).