Suncorp engaged NDY to design a complete lifecycle replacements and capacity upgrades to their existing critical services electrical and mechanical infrastructure for their 400 square metre data centre and disaster recovery facility in Woolloongabba, Queensland.
The project spanned over two consecutive financial years (FY18/19 to FY19/20) with upgrade and rectification works separated into two separable portions of staged works. Notable elements of the works included:
- Wholesale replacement of the existing site main switchboard
- Replacement of the existing standby diesel generators
- Replacement of the existing UPS and battery systems
- EOL replacements of existing CRAC units, PDU switchboards and gas suppression systems
- Expansion of the existing data centre load capacity through provision of additional CRAC units and UPS capacity
- Power and airflow balancing throughout the data hall, including retrofitting of cold aisle containment systems throughout to improve operating efficiencies
NDY has built rapport with Suncorp through our previous engagements including past upgrade/improvement projects at this same facility as well as the Suncorp Metway Centre and Suncorp headquarters at 80 Ann Street in Brisbane. Suncorp is a solution-focused client and values NDY’s input, making for a highly productive and collaborative working environment and project team culture.
Over the two-year project programme, NDY completed the following works in a timely manner. The team helped the client by:
- Developing Staging Strategy reports to inform the onsite sequencing of works and facilitate a ‘zero-downtime’ upgrade and replacement pathway
- Administering testing and commissioning procedures onsite directly with the contractors
- Assisting in the Suncorp Change Management process to ease approval processes for high-risk activities
- Delivering the detailed services designs and monitoring the quality of construction works through to completion
NDY designs mitigated all single points of failure throughout the facility. This was a risk mitigation factor for Suncorp, as there had been numerous lingering concerns regarding the reliability of the Jurgens Street facility. Furthermore, the additional load capacity within the supporting infrastructure has allowed the client’s data centre to be more highly utilized with additional IT equipment now accommodated. The newly installed equipment in the data centre has eradicated the need for Suncorp to house the equipment elsewhere, which is a substantial benefit to Suncorp critical operations.
ADDITIONAL PROJECT INFORMATION:
Project Value: $4,000,000