Norman Disney & Young was appointed by the Victorian Government as part of the successful Exemplar Health consortium to design, build and operate the New Bendigo Hospital. The outcome is a multi-award winning world class regional hospital development. The consortium comprised Capella Capital as sponsor and Lendlease was responsible for construction with architects Silver Thomas Hanley and Bates Smart. Lendlease also provided equity along with Siemens. Spotless are the facilities managers.
The New Bendigo Hospital provides an outstanding new regional hospital with expanded capacity including an integrated cancer centre and new psychiatric inpatient facility. The new hospital equips Bendigo Health to provide for the future health needs and increasing demands of a growing population in Bendigo and in the Loddon-Mallee region. It has also assisted Bendigo Health in creating a skilled workforce for the future provision of high-quality patient care through investment in facilities, education and training. The project has delivered:
- A new acute hospital on the Barnard Street site with 372 acute inpatient beds, 72 same day beds, 80 psychiatric inpatient beds and 11 operating theatres
- A new integrated regional cancer centre with 26 chemotherapy places (included in the 80 acute same day beds listed above), 4 radiotherapy bunkers expandable to 6 should this be required in the future, and 30 consulting rooms
- A satellite dialysis facility with 16 places (included in the 80 acute same day beds listed above)
- Diagnostic, outpatient, staff, education, administration, public and back of house spaces in the new hospital to complement the above
- Continued use of the retained facilities on the Lucan Street site for administration and education purposes, with the potential to use the balance of the facilities for commercial purposes
- Investment in ICT to facilitate effective care delivery and efficient work practices to provide the essential tools to support 21st century learning and research including electronic medical records, and to provide a platform for future development
- 100 place childcare centre
- Multi-deck car park
- Retail units and cafes.
Some of the services features included in the design are:
- Rain water off 80% of the available roof area is captured for reuse
- Diesel rotary UPS generators provide mission critical redundancy to both clinical and technical loads
- Two 800kWe co-generation plants are provided, coupled also to an absorption chiller providing tri-generation functionality
- Low or non-volatile compounds in carpets, vinyls and paints
- Heat rejection via new adiabatic cooling technologies that save water and power (and do not require registration as cooling towers).
The new hospital is assisting Bendigo Health to provide the health services expected by the community in the 21st century, attract and retain the best staff, train the future health workforce for Bendigo and beyond, and support other health services as part of an effective regional health system.
NDY was instrumental in providing design input during the bid phase of this PPP project, demonstrating our ability and commitment to assist the financier, facilities maintenance and builder during this crucial early stage.
The New Bendigo Hospital has received numerous accolades, including:
- Property Council of Australia Innovation and Excellence Awards 2018, Victorian Development of the Year
- Property Council of Australia Innovation and Excellence Awards 2018, Public Building – Victoria
- Australian Institute of Architects (VIC) 2018, Sir Zelman Cowan Award for Public Architecture
- Infrastructure Partnerships Australia Awards 2018, Contractor Excellence
- Premier’s Sustainability Awards 2018, Regional Recognition Prize
- Premier’s Sustainability Awards 2018, Large Business
- Australian Timber Design Awards 2017, Commercial Interior
- International Interior Design Association – Best of Asia Pacific 2017, Healthcare
- INDE Awards 2018, Wellness Space
- Australian Security Industry Association Ltd (ASIAL) Awards 2017, Outstanding Security Consultant
- Intergrain Timber Vision Awards 2017, Commercial Interior
- PPP Awards 2018, Best Operational Project.