The South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) was built alongside the new Royal Adelaide Hospital. As a key strategic element in strengthening the links between research and clinical care, this $200 million facility is home to many top global medical researchers.
The institute comprises approximately 30,000 m² of laboratory and specialist research space providing a world class health and medical research institute within a flagship research facility. Included within the building are specialised spaces such as:
- Physical Containment Level 2 (PC2) laboratories
- Quarantine Containment Level 2 (QC2) laboratories
- A Bioscience laboratory
- A Cyclotron facility (first and only in SA) with a requirement to be compliant with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines
- Preclinical imaging spaces
- Various medical research support infrastructure.
For each of the spaces, the Indoor Environment Quality objectives aspire to create a healthy and comfortable working environment for all users.
SAHMRI was the first building of its kind in Australia to be certified LEED Gold and achieves reduced operational costs through adopting a passive building design approach, energy and water efficient systems, and the integration of renewable energy technologies. NDY was appointed lead engineering services consultant by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) representing SAHMRI, and directly responsible for the design and documentation of the following services:
- Mechanical: air conditioning, fume cupboards exhaust system, pressure zoning, medical gases and clean room design
- Hydraulics: potable water, laboratory water, reverse osmosis water and trade waste systems
- NDYLIGHT: Specialist lighting design to the external diagrid facade
- Integrated Building System: mechanical and hydraulics control systems as part of the thermal energy modelling, providing input to the LEED Gold accreditation.
Further to our commission as base building engineering consultants, NDY was commissioned as the mechanical and hydraulics design engineers for multiple fitout works throughout the building directly by SAHMRI. Read more about the Levels 7 & 8 Fitout project and the Imaging Project.
The innovative SAHRMI has received multiple local and international awards and commendations, including but not limited to:
- 2014 Masters Builders National Awards for Excellence, Hindmarsh Construction won the coveted National Commercial/Industrial Construction Award for projects over $100 million
- Up against the world’s leading health, research, clinical, environmental and forensic laboratories, SAHMRI took out top honours at the 2015 Laboratory of the Year Awards (submitted by architects Woods Bagot).