Our expertise in mechanical, electrical, fire protection, hydraulics, communications, fire engineering and sustainability have been extensively utilised by our clients. NDY brings considerable points of difference, including the following:
- Strong understanding of the requirements for safety, security, sustainability, risk management and normalised living to promote rehabilitation and reintegration
- Strong credibility with corrections and government departments
- Working knowledge and understanding of cell and fire safety guidelines
- Working knowledge of operator requirements
- Delivery of innovative designs that enhance community safety by securely and humanely containing prisoners
- Building a successful rehabilitation and recidivism record by integrating latest technology into delivering programs.
We understand the sector’s unique challenges such as strict cell and fire safety; prevention of wilful damage to systems; and the need to balance capital costs with energy consumption and long term maintenance costs.
Our Corrections & Justice Capabilities
NDY has extensive experience in the delivery of Corrections & Justice engineering services. Our focus is on designing safe, secure and sustainable corrections facilities with plant and equipment arranged in such a way that maintenance and servicing is located outside prisoner areas. We have also delivered world class courts and justice facilities, meeting the high demands placed on technology, security and comfort.
We adopt an integrated approach where access to plant rooms are provided via normal walk-in or fixed ladders, thereby eliminating the need for specialised access equipment or scaffolding. Roof mounted equipment is strategically avoided to reduce the likelihood of concealment and climbing anchor points.
We are committed to delivering sustainable buildings that consume a fraction of the energy and water of their non-green counterparts. Energy efficient mechanical systems can reduce the need for artificial heating and cooling by around 60 per cent – saving thousands of dollars in energy costs each year.
Energy intensive facilities can realise substantial savings quickly and easily by commissioning and tuning existing equipment and investing in comprehensive upgrades to lighting and mechanical systems.
Our expertise in the delivery of Corrections & Justice projects can deliver significant financial savings for your facility, through energy and water saving strategies that also increase occupant comfort and staff satisfaction.
Critical Drivers in Corrections
The critical drivers are:
- Reducing rates of recidivism or re-offending
- Prisoner education and healthcare delivery
- Providing safe facilities for prisoners and staff
- Reduced Operating Costs and Sustainability
- Concealing of engineering services and securing against tampering.
By taking these into account at all stages of the project, we can ensure that the final design is suitable for immediate needs, as well as providing a solid foundation for the future.